Erectile dysfunction in your 40s

If you’re in your 40s and struggling with ED, we’d love to hear from you.

What do you think are the things that may be impacting your erections as a 40-something-year-old? What has helped you keep your erections on track?

For me the hardest thing is not being sure if the issues are psychological or just because of changes due to aging. I am quite fit and I have not any of the potential medical causes for the physical ED. But still the effects of aging make the inner critic harder to ignore, maybe it has some truth behind it? I know that I am no longer in 20’s and the function can’t be same anymore.

Pills used to help, with first tries a few years back I was performing with them even better than ever before. But lately I have had issues also when using those. Erections are better when I am alone, especially if under no pressure, so I know there is strong psychological component. And lots of usual stress in work and relationships.

I do not have morning erections, but sometimes at middle of night waking up with very strong erection. So I know it is still working, at least when left alone.

So in short, I am still struggling to get my head sorted and be able to perform, at least up to what my physical age would allow.

Sounds very similar to me. I am 40 in 5 months. Pills work for me, but im not sure how long for. Without them i don’t even feel in the mood for sex at all. I never have morning wood, but ocasionally i will wake up in the night with a half decent erection. Im physically fit and exercise regularly, so the doctors think its psychological and the pills are having a placebo effect. But i know that is not the case as i feel physically completely different when i have a pill

1 Like

This sounds all too familiar. It’s quite frustrating. In the beginning pills helped but now it’s not a guarantee that it’s working.

Thankfully my partner is very understanding and talking’s about it helps but it’s not easy to open up about it as the man I should be able to. I really started to panic and hate myself for it.

Went into some sort of depression but right now getting better. I know it’s taking time but still this spectating going on.